Job Title: Automation Controls Engineer
Department: 2380 – Automation NC
Location: Charlotte, NC
Methods Machine Tools, Inc. was established in 1958 with three employees and a handful of refurbished machines. Since then, the company has become one of the largest privately owned machine tool importers in North America.
Methods designs and implements custom machining setups, including machine tool selection, automation integration, and turnkey automation cells. The corporate campus in Sudbury, Mass., comprises a showroom/technical center, which contains automation, applications, and a full range of cutting-edge machines. Methods has more than 375 employees, nine technology centers, one high precision machining center, and has installed in excess of 40,000 machines throughout North America.
We currently have the following career opportunity available in Charlotte, NC:
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Automation Controls Engineer will be responsible for and familiar with all aspects of automation cells which are designed to increase consistency and throughput for CNC manufacturing solutions.
- Read Bill of Materials and interpret electrical schematics to source necessary components for assembling electrical kits
- Assist in the development and accuracy of electrical kit documentation for automation cells, including drawings, files, engineering records, prints, and build sheets using SolidWorks
- Assist in testing and inspection using magnifying devices, measuring instruments, and electronic test equipment to ensure parts and assemblies meet production specifications
- Plan robotic machine tending routines through the programming and virtual simulation/verification of Fanuc robotics systems
- Implement robot machine tending routines through program execution, user frame creation, and teaching robot task points
- Responsible for the configuration and implementation of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
- Create and modify PLC-based ladder logic to achieve automation cell requirements in accordance with specified project scopes
- Create, maintain, and revise technical documents, which includes work instruction, automation cell architecture, equipment specifications, detailed design provisions, and electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic schematics
- Conduct machine functionality testing to ensure equipment commissioning is timely, accurate, and in accordance with a specified project scope
- Participate in pre and post-sales project reviews by offering technical expertise involving the automated manufacturing of CNC machined components which are derived from a diverse range of industries, including medical, aerospace, automotive, energy, firearms, etc.
- Provide customer training on design intent, production operations, and recovery methods for automated cells
- Work collaboratively with internal Automation Design Engineers, CNC Applications Engineers, Service Technicians, and Sales personnel
- Willingness to learn and be trained
- Electrical and mechanical aptitude
- Attention to detail and ability to retain communicated information
- Ability to adjust to shifting work priorities
- Ability to interpret drawings
- Positive, team-player attitude
- Ability to multi-task
- Skills in soldering, technical documentation, and SolidWorks is a plus
Methods Machine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.