Job Title: Product Development Engineer
Department: 2310 – Applications Engineering (R&D)
Location: Sudbury, MA
Methods Machine Tools, Inc. was established in 1958 with three employees and a handful of refurbished machines. Since then, the company has become one of the largest privately owned machine tool importers in North America.
Methods designs and implements custom machining setups, including machine tool selection, automation integration, and turnkey automation cells. The corporate campus in Sudbury, Mass., comprises a showroom/technical center, which contains automation, applications, and a full range of cutting-edge machines. Methods has more than 375 employees, nine technology centers, one high precision machining center, and has installed in excess of 40,000 machines throughout North America.
We currently have the following career opportunity available in Sudbury, MA:
The Product Development Engineer will lead the efforts for the design, build, installation, debugging, documentation, and testing of automated standard products. We seek an individual who is motivated to produce new products for MMT. In this dynamic position, you will have the opportunity to become an expert in the growing field of industrial automation. You will be exposed to many interesting customer applications in various industry segments, including automotive, aerospace, medical, and consumer products. This position requires an individual with a high-energy, positive attitude who possesses the capability and desire to be continuously engaged with the team to drive projects to completion.
*10-20% travel required to support installation and start-up activities.
- Design automation systems using SOLIDWORKS and complete accompanying engineering drawings
- Assembly and integrate MMT products including software, electrical, and mechanical components for automation and machine control
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues related to the form, fit, function, and communication elements of automation cells
- Provide customer and in house training for MMT Beta products
- Research to customer wants and needs, and provide this critical feedback to our sales and engineering teams
- Maintain machines and work area in a neat and professional manner
- Identify and recommend commercial items to align with budget
- Write technical procedures/ manuals for automation systems
- Prepare system for test production and demonstration for the customer
- Strong collaboration with application engineering and production to drive people, equipment, materials and facilities to exceed customer expectations while meeting internal financial and operational metrics.
- All other duties as required
- Strong technical understanding of software, mechanical, and electrical systems, and the ability to creatively resolve design challenges and troubleshooting issues
- Minimum of 2 years relevant hands-on experience. Industrial robot or motion control experience is a plus.
- Must be adaptable to new production trends and have an aptitude for technology.
- Ability to generate and interpret CAD models and drawings
- Effective communication – both written and verbal
Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field experience
Methods Machine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.